The Second World War was a caesura for the history of the square. Although some buildings were spared from destruction, the buildings Platzl 2 and 3 are considered some of the Munich’s oldest remaining residential buildings, still with the famous “Ohrwaschel”, which are asymmetrically installed small roof additions for the crane. These are, together with the corner building Platzl/Pfisterstraße, typical Munich "Zinshäuser" which are apartment buildings where several parties lived on different floors. In this case, there is an additional angled complex of different centre and back buildings, which were connected with "Platzl Alleys" that were created a few years ago.
Platzl Hotel since 1956 in the heart of Munich
But the Pfistermühle, Platzl stage, and the apartment buildings at Münzstraße had major damages. The Platzl had to be closed on November 5, 1951, because of disrepair.The owners of the Aying Brewery, Franz and Maria Kreszenz Inselkammerbraved the deciding step and purchased a share in the Platzl. At the time, this was a very high risk for the country brewery that was small back then, because Platzl’s future was no longer said to be great.
No Munich entrepreneur wanted to take the risk of rebuilding. But the Inselkammer couple was successful, and in Spring 1953, the Platzl was in business again. In 1956, it was followed by the “Platzl Hotel”. In 1986, the old Platzl was replaced by a new construction that opened its doors in 1988.
Restaurant Pfistermühle, Crossbow Tent, Wirtshaus Ayingers and Platzl Alleys
Back then, the restaurant, Pfistermühle, was also remodelled. In 1990, Peter Inselkammer became the Host at the Octoberfest and took over "Crossbow Tent". The latest acquisition following the opening of the Wirtshaus Ayingers in the year 2000 were the Platzl Alleys.